Panic in the udp_input() under heavy load

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 25 00:53:12 UTC 2011

On 11/7/2011 6:41 PM, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>
>> On 11/7/2011 3:25 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>>> Now if you are clever you'd also log the inp there as the above will
>>> only prove the case that something is wrong but still not help us in
>>> anything to figure out what.
>>
>> Good point, thank you Sir.
>>
>> Would that be good enough?
>>
>> printf("BZZT! Something is terribly wrong, up == NULL! inp = %p\n", inp);
>>
>> Do you think of any other useful piece of information that I can log
>> at this point?
>
> Hi Maxim:
>
> There was recently a commit to fix a race condition in 10-CURRENT which
> I think is not slated to be merged for 9.0. You might check the commit
> logs there and see if that fixes the problems you have -- if so, we
> might want to reconsider the plan not to merge for 9.0.
>
> (It relates to a race condition on closing sockets..)

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the tip. I will give it a try and see what happens. So
far, after installing that trap we have not seen any panics yet. I have
not checked logs yet if my trap actually has catch anything or not.

-Maxim