Arg. TCP slow start killing me.

Erich Weiler weiler at soe.ucsc.edu
Sun Nov 13 23:42:05 UTC 2011

> If your firewall
> isn't the cause of the packet losses, then you don't really have much
> control -- the TCP source(s) _will_ detect the packet losses, either due
> to duplicate ACKs coming back from the destination or timeout waiting for
> ACK from destination.

I suspect my firewall *is* the cause of the packet loss, unfortunately.
  We're sending multiple streams in from multiple sources and
destinations, but the aggregate bandwidth coming into the firewall is
consistent no matter how many sources and destinations we have.  It
maxes at about 2Gb/s.  That's why I was trying to tweak the firewall, to
try and get that number up.