Gigabit Ethernet performance with Realtek 8111E

Michael Laß bevan at bi-co.net
Sun Nov 6 12:02:06 UTC 2011

Hi!

Am Samstag, den 05.11.2011, 11:03 -0400 schrieb Rick Macklem:
> try typing:
> # sysctl dev.re.0.stats=1
> - this will dump out the stats on the chip
>   if the "Rx missed frames" count is non-zero, you're probably snookered,
>   to put it technically:-)
>   - That's what I get for a re chip is this laptop and I haven't found
>     a way around it. I just live with flakey net performance.

Rx missed frames is >0 indeed. Every time I see those drops in speed the
number of missed frames increases by approx. 20-50.

When searching for this problem I found your old thread on
freebsd-current[1]. It seems that the problem is way less severe here.
Some transfers even don't cause any problems. Others however spend more
time at 0kbit/s than actually transferring data...
It also seems like transfers are stabilizing after some seconds but that
is not always the case.
In good times the rate of missed frames is below 0.01%.

I think the Dup ACKs are just a result of these lost packages. I do not
see them always when these problems occur.

Was there any progress after your last mail on 8th of Nov.?

Greetings,
Michael

[1]:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-October/020793.html