IPSec Routing

jhall at socket.net jhall at socket.net
Thu May 26 01:57:34 UTC 2011

To : jhall at socket.net
Subject : Re: IPSec Routing
Date : Sun, 22 May 2011 21:12:24 +0200

> Basically what happends is that an IPSEC tunnel looks like this
>

> Internal_A -->> Internal FW A [ FW A] External FWA ---->>> [Internet]
<<<---- External FWB [FW B] Internal FW B <<-- Internal_B

External FWA [ ------------ TUNNEL ---------] External FWB [also called
Phase1]
> Internal_A
[-------------------------------------------------------------------
TUNNEL ----------------------------------------------------------]
Internal_B [Also called phase2]

> The external FW's talk to eachother and make a secure pipe. The internal
networks / hosts, use the secure pipe to route traffic
> between them. So basically the first TUNNEL line is a big pipe, and the
second TUNNEL line is packets WITHIN that first tunnel line.. (complex?)

> Comment:
>
> A connection is setup between the external FWA and External FWB, so that
you have a secure pipe between the firewalls
> to exchange data.
>
> In some cases you talk to the external IP and it gets processed there
and onwards.

> In other cases [more likely], you setup a secondary tunnel (phase2)
which enables you to talk to internal hosts on the other end.
> An IPSEC session is never established between internal IP ranges (if
flowing over the internet, ofcourse within the network itself
> it is entirely possible).
>
> The IPSEC session _does_ allow you to route and send traffic to an
internal IP adres over the tunnel though.

> If you can shed some more light in what you mean I might be able to
help. I have setup 1000's of tunnels between mostly commercial
> grade firewalls but I might assist in getting a bit further.

Thank you to everyone for their help.  The connection is now up and
running.  Our vendor had an incorrect entry in their route table.

Jay