aliases on em(4) do not work properly

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Sun May 22 02:36:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Josh Carroll <josh.carroll at gmail.com> wrote:
> After upgrading my hardware, I now have two new em(4) in this box
> running FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE/amd64. One NIC is the onboard NIC on the
> Asus P8Z68-V Pro board, the other is the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK
> PCI-Express card. em0 is the internet-facing card and I have 4 aliases
> in addition to the primary address (I have a /29 IP allocation from
> Comcast Business Class). After this hardware upgrade, any connection
> with a source address of one of the aliases on em0 does not work
> properly, it just hangs. Here is my rc.conf entry for this interface:

I just wanted to report that after a reboot, things seem to be working
properly and I cannot reproduce the problem. I had also rebooted my
cable modem when this shutdown occurred, so it's entirely possible the
SMC D3G cable modem was at fault. If I can reproduce the problem, I'll
post additional information/details, but for now it seems the problem
was transient.

Thanks!
Josh