IPSec Routing

jhall at socket.net jhall at socket.net
Sun May 22 02:30:57 UTC 2011

I posted a similar question to the FreeBSD questions forum earlier, but
the answer I received has only confused me more.  So, I am asking a
similar question here.  Please excuse me if this is considered a cross
post.

I am using IPSec in transport mode to connect to a vendor's router.  The
connection is established and I am able to see the tunnels are established
in racoon by the IPsec-SA established: ESP/Tunnel messages.  And, my
vendor has confirmed the connection is up on their end.

What I am not understanding is how to add routes correctly when using
transport mode.  I have added the proper incoming/outgoing information
using setkey.  When I display the information using setkey -DP, the routes
appear correct.  I have defined one outbound route for the local private
network to the remote private network and vice versa.

When I try to ping the remote network, I do not receive any responses.
Running a traceroute, I see the packet bounced back and forth between the
external interface and the loopback adapter on my FBSD box.

I am connecting to a Juniper router running the JUNOS operating system.

This is the first time I have connected two networks together using
transport mode as opposed to tunnel mode and I am really confused as to
what I should be doing.  The handbook information seems to deal only with
tunnel mode.

Thanks for your help.

Jay