Intel 10GbE Tuning under freebsd

Kip Macy kip.macy at gmail.com
Thu May 19 16:55:42 UTC 2011

Four very quick points:

- Enabling flowtable can help provided you don't have a large (greater
than a few thousand) number of peers.
- I have a patch under review to cache the rtentry (L3) and llentry
(L2) in the inpcb for TCP connections, which improves scaling at high
packet rates.
- You'll want to ensure that the number of transmit and receive queues
is getting configured properly (at least one per core up to the
maximum number supported by the cards)
- If you have very large numbers of connections you'll want to
increase the size of the TCB hash, to dramatically reduce the lookup
times when receiving packets.

I hope that helps a little bit.

Cheers,
Kip