Intel 10GbE Tuning under freebsd

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Thu May 19 16:37:57 UTC 2011

First, get the latest driver if you are using the native 8.1 its way old.

Second, make sure you're in a PCI Express 2.0 slot, at least 8x, and
if you are using a consumer type system there are often slots that are
not wired with as many lanes as you might think, so verify that. Oh, and
remember, both sides of the link effect things so check both. Newer driver
versions will warn you if you don't have adequate bandwidth.

Third, make sure you have the system interrupt storm threshold increased,
hw.intr_storm_threshold, its way too low by default for 10G rates, I would
initially increase it to 10000, there will be messages about throttling if
its
not high enough, increase til you don't see them.

Fourth, make sure your mbuf pool numbers are high enough in the size that
you need. The ixgbe driver uses standard 2K clusters when using standard
MTU,
but as soon as you use jumbos it will go to 4K and then 9K as the jumbo size
increases.  increase the relevant kern.ipc.nmb...

This should get you in the ballpark, let me know if you have further
questions
or issues.

Good luck,

Jack