netstat fix

Jason Hellenthal jhell at DataIX.net
Tue May 17 17:04:39 UTC 2011

Michael,

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 06:27:01PM +0200, Michael Tuexen wrote:
> On May 17, 2011, at 6:20 PM, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
>

> > Michael,
> >
> > On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 07:23:37PM +0200, Michael Tuexen wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> fwip0  1500 <Link#19>     00:30:05:b3:50:0b:40:e4:0a:02:ff:fe:00:00:00:00        0     0     0          0        0     0          0     0
> >>

> > I agree with your patch but on another note. You probably know better
> > than I, Is it common for fwip* to have a MAC(hardware address) that long
> > ?
> I have no idea if it is common. But also other addresses (like IPv6)
> are truncated in the output by netstat...

Yeah that can be expected of IPv6. There is just not enough room in the
world of screen space to display those properly or in some globally
exceptable way unless we want to start changing netstat to display
addreesses line by line.

Ive been looking around a bit "EUI-64" ... never mind ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EUI-64

Relavent section:
In addition, the EUI-64 numbering system encompasses both MAC-48 and
EUI-48 identifiers by a simple translation mechanism. To convert a
MAC-48 into an EUI-64, copy the OUI, append the two octets FF-FF, and
then copy the organization-specified part. To convert an EUI-48 into an
EUI-64, the same process is used, but the sequence inserted is "FF-FE".
In both cases, the process can be trivially reversed when necessary.
Organizations issuing EUI-64s are cautioned against issuing identifiers
that could be confused with these forms. The IEEE policy is to
discourage new uses of 48-bit identifiers in favor of the EUI-64 system.
IPv6one of the most prominent standards that uses EUI-64treats MAC-48 as
EUI-48 instead (as it is chosen from the same address pool). This
results in extending MAC addresses (such as IEEE 802 MAC address) to
EUI-64 using FF-FE rather than FF-FF.

--

 Regards, (jhell)
 Jason Hellenthal