ipv6, stateful config and non-default prefixlen

Stephen Clark sclark46 at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 20 18:23:57 UTC 2011

On 03/19/2011 04:34 AM, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On 18.03.2011 23:56, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>> Are you using IA_PD or IA_NA on your DHCPv6 server?
> Since I didn't configure anything on a DHCPv6 server about PD, I
> assume I'm using NA.
>
>> rtadvd can give you the default router.
>>
>> DHCPv6 IA_NA gives you a single /128 address and no netmask.
>>
>> DHCPv6 IA_PD gives you a prefix (with the netmask of your choice), but
>> I don't know whether FreeBSD can (easily) use this.
> I don't see a relation between these 2 things. Prefix delegation is
> used to assign prefixes to client _routers_, without knowing about the
> topology. I'm configuring a _workstation_. I don't need a prefix to
> assign addresses to other computers, I don't have a network behind
> this workstation, I need to know about my prefix, and I have that
> information in ndp cache, although it is somehow useless.
>
>> As mentioned, DHCPv6 IA_PD gives you a prefix. And ISC dhclient can ask
>> for it, see the the -P option.
> "The Prefix Delegation options provide a mechanism for
> automateddelegation of IPv6 prefixes using the Dynamic Host
> Configuration Protocol (DHCP). This mechanism is intended for
> delegating a long-lived prefix from a delegating router to a
> requesting router, acrossan administrative boundary, where the
> delegating router does not require knowledge about the topology of the
> links in the network to which the prefixes will be assigned." And
> that's from RFC.
>
>> If you use DHCPv6 IA_NA, you receive a single /128 address (it is /128
>> by definition, the DHCP answer doesn't include a netmask).
> That seems to be a mistake. Look what explanation I found in the ietf
> maillist:
>
> "Interface addresses are completely SEPARATE from routing
> information.Please do NOT confuse the two. This has been a source of
> confusion formany IPv6 implementors who know IPv4.The configuration of
> addresses for an interface MUST NOT be tied to the configuration of
> prefix information for routing. Just because a prefix is on a link,
> does not mean the interface necessarily has an address for that prefix
> (it may have none, 1, or many). Just because an interface has an
> address, does not mean that the system has any prefix information for
> a prefix that "contains" that address. Prefix information and
> addresses assigned to interfaces are completely separate."
>
> So it's just an address. Not a /128, just an address.
>
>> You should  *not*  expect to reach other computers on the link
>> through such a /128
>> address
> So, in other words, DHCPv6 is useless. No, I don't think so. I have a
> bunch of windows on the same link, working with the same DHCPv6
> server, and doing just fine. And that's sad, because I used to think
> that FreeBSD is always a queen of the network, far ahead of the
> non-truly-networked OS bunch. I'm still hoping that this /64 prefix
> issue is related to my low knowledge.

> [...]
How does a router that is using dhclient to get delegated a address
prefix from an upstream router obtain its default route, since dhcpv6
can't provide a default route.
And since it is a router it can't get its default route from router
advertisements from the upstream router?

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)