kern/149643: [rum] device not sending proper beacon frames in ap mode

Henry Hu henry.hu.sh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 10:50:07 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR kern/149643; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Henry Hu <henry.hu.sh at gmail.com>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org, nox at jelal.kn-bremen.de
Subject: Re: kern/149643: [rum] device not sending proper beacon frames in ap mode
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 18:17:24 +0800

 I have similar issue. My card:

 rum0: <Ralink 802.11 bg WLAN, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 6> on usbus6
 rum0: MAC/BBP RT2573 (rev 0x2573a), RF RT2528

 I also see my clients disconnect quickly.
 However, mine one do not send out any beacons.
 I'm also using hostapd, and as I capture the packets in the
 IEEE802_11_RADIO layer from an internal intel 3945 card, I cannot see
 any beacons sent by the card.
 I can see beacons of other access points, and if I plug the Ralink
 card into a WinXP laptop with official driver and software installed,
 I can see beacons from the card.
 So I think that the hardware is capable of sending beacons. It's just
 a problem of the driver.

 I found that though there is no beacons, a windows laptop connects
 fairly stable to the network. Maybe it ignores the beacons.
 However, my phone always disconnects from the network. It is an
 android phone, which uses wpa_supplicant to manage wireless
 connection.

 I create my wlan device with this:
 # sudo ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev rum0 wlanmode hostap
 My hostapd.conf:

 interface=wlan0
 ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
 wpa=1
 wpa_passphrase=xxxxxxxxxx
 ssid=henryhu

 By the way, I found that the beacon_int and channel in hostapd.conf is
 useless, is it true?

 --
 Cheers,
 Henry