ipv6, stateful config and non-default prefixlen

Sergey Matveychuk sem at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 18 17:06:57 UTC 2011

18.03.2011 18:27, Christian Kratzer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I'm trying to get a working freebsd workstation with an ipv6 network
>> where addresses are received from DHCP.
>> ATM my IPv6 setup copies the IPv4 layout with vlans and /24 masks, so
>> I'm using /120 prefixes.
>> Is that even possible ?
>> As the Handbook lacks any information about such setup, I decided to
>> ask for help here.
>
> why not just use /64 prefixes ? You have 16 bits in your /48 to each
> ipv4 /24 network to an ipv6 /64 network.
>
> Don't fight the system.

As for me, I've got /64 network and I must split it for tunneling, etc.
So I have more wide prefixlen for my home network. I spend a lot of time
to get auto configuration work, but gave up and set static config on all
my home computers. The system is really strong :)

--
Sem.