ifconfig alias: same subnet netmask question

Oleg Cherevko olwi at fb-n.l.org.ua
Wed Jun 29 17:15:35 UTC 2011

Li, Qing wrote:
> First of all, are you encountering any issues ?

Well, for the last 14+ years I used to setup aliases with 0xffffffff netmask and
everything worked OK. However recently I encountered situation where
0xffffffff-style alias triggered some unwanted network behavior.

When one sets alias like this:
	ifconfig em0 inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00
	ifconfig em0 inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 0xffffffff alias
and then exports connected networks via OSPF ASE, two prefixes end up being
exported (192.168.1.1/24 and 192.168.1.2/32).

In case of "identical netmask" setup:
	ifconfig em0 inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00
	ifconfig em0 inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 0xffffff00 alias
only one prefix gets exported (192.168.1.1/24).

In my particular situation two exported prefixes led to wrong behavior of some
equipment (other than FreeBSD machine in question). When I changed to "identical
netmask" setup (one exported prefix) everything started to work flawlessly.

So far I encountered no issues with this "identical netmask" setup.
So I'd like to know why ifconfig manpage still recommends old way of setting
aliases? Perhaps there are some pitfalls that I'm not aware of? Or manpage text
is simply outdated?

> There is an outstanding issue with the address alias and improper routing
> table update that I am actively working on.
>
> --Qing

Olwi