Kernel memory corruption(?) with age(4)

Michael Schuh michael.schuh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:50:18 UTC 2011

2011/6/26 YongHyeon PYUN <pyunyh at gmail.com>

> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 06:53:57AM +0200, Michael Schuh wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i am not on the list atm.
> >
> > i found this entry after digging in google during problems with a
> normally
> > rock stable
> > system ( under linux).
> >
> > I can also confirm the behaviour from the first post.
> > After a long hard night digging in the system and changing some options
> > i found a repeatable way to crash the system ultrafast.
> >
> > at the initial crashes the system crashed after copying around 800GB.
> > the second and third and further attempts/impacts got issued everytime
> > after an  ~ hour from reboot on. leaving the system withouth any power,
> > changing some hardware
> > forth and back didn't changed anything, except the network card.
> >
> > a happening beside that: immediatly after the initial boot will get the
> > ntpdate and ntpd started.
> > by this, the ntpd complains about unsresolveable hostnames from ntp.conf.
> > if you log in and restart the ntpd by hand, everything is fine, no
> > complains,
> > no unresolveable hostnames.
> > the hostnames are well known and tested and the DNS works still fine.
> > this happening will also leave if you change the Ethernet-adapter to an
> > Intel Card.
> >
> > My system crashed so fast that i didn't got any log entry nor a
> crashdump.
> >
> > my last try's crashed my system after 100 - 120 seconds.
> >
> > HW: AMD P5K with Atheros age-Interface enabled, 6GB Corsair DDR2 800MHZ
> > (pc6400) RAM ( latency 5-5-5-5-18)
> > Ati Radeon HD4350 with 512MB Onboard Memory, 3 disks 2 PATA, 1 SATA.
> >
> > OS: FreeBSD/amd64 8.2-RELEASE ( unmodified original RELEASE install )
> >
> > REQUIREMENTS to repeat the issue:
> > box A: a stable FreeBSD or Linux Box with GBitEthernet interface and no
> > essential networkload
> > box B: the affected FreeBSD Host with the age interface.
> >
> > the age0 interface is configured with default options.
> > only the ip-configuration got applied through rc.conf
> >
> > ifconfig_age0="192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> >
> > PROCEDURE:
> > On Box A ( p.e IP: 192.168.1.2 )  issue the command:
> >
> > # dd if=/dev/zero |nc -l -p 1666
> >
> > On Box B issue a complementary command like:
> >
> > # nc 192.168.1.2 1666| dd of=/dev/null
> >
> > I am sorry i cannot test a patch at this time cause this is a backup
> server,
> > that has to get asap into production.
> > After disabling the age-Interface in the bios settings and inserting a
> Intel
> > GBit NIC the System runs stable again.
> >
> > i hope this informations will help a bit.
> > if you need to message me, please message me directly cause i am not
> > registered for this list.
> >

> I think the issue was already fixed(r220249, r220252). Apply the
> patch and rebuild your kernel after downloading it from the
> following URL.

> [...]

Many thanks for the patch.
i will test him later.

Just another question in relation to this:
Got this patch applied to the stable branch?
I plan to switch the system this week to stable.

thanks again.

--
= = =  http://michael-schuh.net/  = = =
Projektmanagement - IT-Consulting - Professional Services IT

= = =  Ust-ID:  DE251072318  = = =