FreeBSD I/OAT (QuickData now?) driver

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Tue Jun 7 05:24:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 10:13:51PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:
> Is this work part of what's needed to enable the FreeBSD
> equivalent of TNAPI?
>
> I know we've got polling. And probably MSI-X in a couple drivers.
> Pretty sure there is still one CPU doing the interrupt work?
> And none of the multiple queue thread spreading tech exists?

i have heard of some Gsoc work that addresses the problem
for cards that have a single queue, but drivers for other cards with
native multiqueue (e.g. ixgbe, e1000 drivers) seem to have
the ability to use one cpu per queue.

I'd argue that for many types of applications (basically all for
which PF_RING/TNAPI were designed), spreading
work across cores is a second order problem, you should
first avoid doing useless work.  Please have a look at

	http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/

which addresses both issues.

cheers
luigi