MPLS

Pawel Tyll ptyll at nitronet.pl
Fri Jun 3 14:05:42 UTC 2011

Hi list,

I've mailed FreeBSD Foundation about this, but for wider exposure this
seems like a good place too.

We are currently looking for some hardware solution that supports MPLS
and VPLS tunnels for IP and PPPoE (at the same end-point interface).
While testing RedBack SmartEdge router and seeing how configuration of
this box is horrible and inflexible, and getting inspired by Luigi's
post about netmap, I figured: FreeBSD is robust enough, it performs
fast enough on current hardware, mpd works fine, dummynet works fine
(except for last zero-pointer hickup :P) - all that's missing for me
is MPLS support.

To the point: is there someone able to make this happen? All I found
was pretty dated info about porting Ayame MPLS stack by Matthew
Luckie, but Ayame itself has seen last update dated at 2003. IIRC
there was some google SoC project last year, but nothing came to
fruition out of it to my knowledge. I hope I'm not the only one that
would benefit from MPLS support on FreeBSD, maybe there are other
companies that could scrap up some funds to sponsor work in this area?

It's surely doable, mikrotik has done it on their cheap routerboards,
and it's working - so lets not get behind too far :)

Awaiting your thoughts,

Pawel Tyll
Nitronet Sp. z o.o.