kern/155498: [ral] ral(4) needs to be resynced with OpenBSD's to gain RT2860/2870 support.

Matt sendtomatt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 04:54:36 UTC 2011

On 07/22/11 18:42, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> When do we just give in and commit this merged code for now?
>

> Adrian
>
> On 19 July 2011 01:25, Matt<sendtomatt at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 07/14/11 00:02, ae at FreeBSD.org wrote:
>>> Synopsis: [ral] ral(4) needs to be resynced with OpenBSD's to gain
>>> RT2860/2870 support.
>>>
>>> Responsible-Changed-From-To: freebsd-net->freebsd-wireless
>>> Responsible-Changed-By: ae
>>> Responsible-Changed-When: Thu Jul 14 07:00:44 UTC 2011
>>> Responsible-Changed-Why:
>>> Reassign to wireless team.
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=155498
>>>
>> This is in progress...either from OpenBSD or from Alexandr's rt2860 code.
>> Or a merge of the two.
>>
>> In the mean time, anyone interested should please test.
>> It seems like it may not work on anything but current, but I don't have
>> enough information to be sure.
>>
>> Patches (rt2860 merged with ral):
>> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B6YlMzJxarGbMWFmZDUxMTgtOTU4ZC00MjRlLThhMTctZTE1MDcwNDJiZDIx&hl=en_US
>>
>> If you have build errors, please provide output of uname -a, and copying
>> exact error messages if any.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Matt

That may be a good stopgap!

My next step is to go line by line through OpenBSD ral & existing
FreeBSD ral and try to find a way to either create an abstraction layer
for easy porting or otherwise structure our driver to successfully "eat"
OpenBSD changes in the future. This will take significant time on my
part, as I am a noobophyte :). If anyone knows of useful tools for
organizing very large C sources by function please let me know, it would
help!

I will do some major hacking at it tonight I suppose...it's about time
:). I'll post updates sometime soon, but OpenBSD's 80211 stack seems
quite different than ours...pci stuff is all different for sure.

Matt