bce packet loss

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 12 05:36:00 UTC 2011

On 07/11/2011 21:09, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> I've had it hammered into my brain over the years that for servers it's
> always best to set link speed and duplex manually at both ends to remove
> any possible issues with link negotiation.

That hasn't been the right thing to do for at least 8 years or so,
probably 10 or more.

Yes, back in the 90's when all of this stuff was still new it was not
uncommon to have autonegotiation issues, but any even sort of modern
hardware (on either side of the link) will do better with auto than not.

hth,

Doug

			-- OK Go