bce packet loss

David Christensen davidch at broadcom.com
Thu Jul 7 18:11:44 UTC 2011

> > Any thoughts on that?  It's the only thing that differs between the
> two
> > switches.
> >

> This makes me think possibility of duplex mismatch between bce(4)
> and link partner. You should not use forced media configuration on
> 1000baseT link. If you used manual media configuration on bce(4)
> and link partner used auto-negotiation, resolved duplex would be
> half-duplex. It's standard behavior and Duplex mismatch can cause
> strange problems.
> I would check whether link partner also agrees on the resolved
> speed/duplex of bce(4).

Forced link speed at 1000Mbps is not supported by the IEEE
specification, you MUST use auto-negotiation at 1000Mbps (though
you can advertise support for 1000Mb only to simulate forced
operation).

Duplex mismatch usually manifests with collision/deferred
transmission errors on the link partner configured for
half-duplex.  The bce(4) driver does support those statistics.

Dave