Juniper e3k with ports limitied to 100Mbit and re NICs on MSI MoBo: problems with duplex negotiation (Hetzner host provider discard FreeBSD support due this bug)

Lev Serebryakov lev at serebryakov.spb.ru
Wed Jan 12 08:52:13 UTC 2011

Hello, Bernd.
You wrote 12 января 2011 г., 1:03:14:

> I'm not surprised that it doesn't work with autonegotian if autonegotian
> is disabled.
> If Linux does full-duplex without autonegotiation then _they_ do it wrong
> and Hetzner shouldn't rely on wrong behavour.
  As far as I understand, Linux does full-duplex without
autonegotiation because it is say to do full-duplex (like FreeBSD's
"ifconfig re0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex"). Is it violation
of standard too -- manual configuration of FD?

> However since you seem to have access it might be interesting to know the
> exact network device and debug why hard setting is broken.
   As far as I understand, again, it is not broken, but disabled,
 because cause problems on some devices...

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at serebryakov.spb.ru>