Modifying "arp" command

Juli Mallett jmallett at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 31 08:37:13 UTC 2011

Hi Rajneesh,

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 00:31, Rajneesh Kumar <iwc2010005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Juli
>
> Thank You for the prompt reply. But I can't find any directory called
> src/usr.sbin/arp
> Also If I am trying to find the file arp.c using find command (i.e., find /
> -name arp.c), its unable to locate any such file.

It isn't in the kernel.  Do you have anything other than the kernel
checked out?  What version of the source tree do you have checked out?
 How did you check it out?

If you want just the arp command from head, you can do something like this:

svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/arp

Then the arp sources will be in the arp subdirectory of your current
directory.  Beware that "make install" won't work in this case, as the
variable BINDIR (the executable into which the binary is installed) is
set up usr.sbin/Makefile.inc.  You can either run your modified arp
binary out of your current directory, install it by hand (copying it
over your existing one) or set BINDIR when doing make install, like
"sudo make install BINDIR=/usr/sbin", for example.

Thanks,
Juli.