Panic in the udp_input() under heavy load

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at sippysoft.com
Tue Dec 27 20:56:40 UTC 2011

So it's actually happening:

Nov  8 21:38:02 dal09 kernel: BZZT! Something is terribly wrong, up ==
NULL! inp = 0xffffff05e5798bd0
Nov 13 03:34:49 dal09 kernel: BZZT! Something is terribly wrong, up ==
NULL! inp = 0xffffff02e5b05930
Nov 30 04:18:11 dal09 kernel: BZZT! Something is terribly wrong, up ==
NULL! inp = 0xffffff03b2d2e000
Nov 30 20:24:12 dal09 kernel: BZZT! Something is terribly wrong, up ==
NULL! inp = 0xffffff03a35e33f0
Nov 30 22:03:20 dal09 kernel: BZZT! Something is terribly wrong, up ==
NULL! inp = 0xffffff03a6349690
Dec  5 03:33:01 dal09 kernel: BZZT! Something is terribly wrong, up ==
NULL! inp = 0xffffff02e0c9e930
Dec  9 06:02:06 dal09 kernel: BZZT! Something is terribly wrong, up ==
NULL! inp = 0xffffff038a4fea80

I'd love to try that socket closure locking patch that the Robert
suggested, but kinda loaded right now. Robert, will it be too much to
ask if you could provide me with the patch that applies to the latest
8-STABLE for a test? I'd give it a spin on 2-3 production boxes. And
yes, those servers do a lot of socket ops per second, I'd say in the
order of hundreds if not thousands per second.

-Maxim