Firewall Profiling.

Alexander V. Chernikov melifaro at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 27 11:37:15 UTC 2011

On 27.12.2011 04:54, Pawel Tyll wrote:
> Hi lists,
>
> Are  there any profiling tools in the system or ports that would allow
> me  to  determine how much processing is being done per packet and how
> long  does  it  take? I would like to predict possible PPS load for my
> system and perhaps locate and remove some bottlenecks.
>
> Is  IPFW  efficient  enough  to  firewall  2x10GE  (in+out) interfaces
> without  much  latency  increase,  when  running  on  modern  hardware
> with Intel NICs? Majority of processing tasks would probably be setfib
> according to matches in tables.
IPFW seems to add more or less constant overhead per rule. In our setup,
~20 rules increase load by 100% (one core).  We are able to reach 10GE
(1.1mpps) on some routers with most packets travelling 8-10 ipfw rules.
However, even with ipfw add 1 allow ip from any to any
1.1 mpps routing utilizes E5645 by more that 80%. (with IGP routes in
rtable only). YMMV, but 2x10G is too much at the moment even without ipfw.

> Pawel.

WBR, Alexander