Compiling only "network" part of the kernel

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Tue Dec 27 10:40:41 UTC 2011

On 12/27/11 7:23 AM, Rajneesh Kumar wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> During my development, I want to check if my modules compile successfully
> or not. I am only changing the ARP portion and whenever I compile my
> kernel, it takes around 20mins and compiles all different modules also.
> I just want to compile and check whether my ARP modules, which I have
> changed, compile fine or not. How to do it?

You could always use MODULES_OVERRIDE to specify which modules you'd
like to build.

You'll still be recompiling the kernel itself but without *many*
unneeded modules.

Find for example a snippet from my /etc/make.conf:

KERNCONF=DAM
MODULES_OVERRIDE=geom/geom_label geom/geom_mirror aio zfs krpc opensolaris