vlan without ip address

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at gmx.com
Wed Dec 21 07:41:00 UTC 2011

Yes, it is.

on "freebsd 0 aka switch":
ifconfig bridge0 create
ifconfig em0.10 create #em0 port is patched to the "real" switch to a
trunk port configured to accept at least vlan 10
ifconfig em1 #this port is patched to "freebsd 1"
ifconfig em2 #this port is patched to "freebsd 2"
ifconfig bridge0 addm em0.10 addm em1 addm em2

up em0, em1, em2, em0.10, bridge0 interfaces and ports
em1 and em2 will be on vlan 10. If you run into trouble
run tcpdump -e on em0.

HTH, Nikos