"ifconfig media off"?

YongHyeon PYUN pyunyh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 19:12:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 10:44:05AM +0100, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> On 13.12.2011 03:50, YongHyeon PYUN wrote:
> >On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 12:56:22AM +0100, Stefan Bethke wrote:
> >>I'm currently writing a driver to configure an ethernet switch chip (see
> >>TL-WR1043ND on -embedded).
> >>
> >>I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a way to power down a phy right
> >>now through the ifconfig media command.
> >>
> >>Would there be objections to extend the media subtype definitions to
> >>include an "off", "poweroff" or "down" media subtype, and add code to the
> >>relevant phy drivers to power down the phy for this media subtype?
> >>
> >>The difference between media subtype "none" and this new one would be
> >>that there will be no link, even if there is a physical connection.  With
> >>media subtype "none", a 10 MBit/s half-duplex connection is established,
> >>potentially confusing the remote end about the availability of this link.
> >>On the local side, the link is down, so no packets are exchanged.
> >>

> >I think "none" means "isolated" so should have no established link
> >and probably you can also power down the PHY.
> >I vaguely guess the PHY of switch chip does not correctly support
> >isolated mode so you may have wanted to power down.
>
> There is a difference between "none" with "status: no carrier" where no
> ethernet
> connection is established, but can be brought up the moment a cable is
> plugged in,
> and "poweroff" where the PHY itself is powered down and won't notice a
> cable being
> plugged in unless configure to auto-select or a particular speed.

Many gigabit PHY drivers already puts the PHY into powerdown state
when you select 'none'.

> Considering that PHY devices are relatively power hungry a poweroff state
> may be
> quite useful to conserve battery power.

Powering down the PHY would be the minimal and easy way that
achieves some power.  But more power saving should be implemented
in ethernet controller side(i.e. removing clock to MII/PHY module
etc).
In addition, you shall always have to use network so powering down
may not be available option.  Implementing EEE framework for
various PHYs would be the way to go.