Commands for AR5212 cause system to hang using 8.2-STABLE

Tue Aug 30 21:31:18 UTC 2011

Greetings all.

I am attempting to get a newer 8.2-based router up and running, and
during my development process, I discovered that the wireless AR5212
card was not blinking, as it did when installed on the current router
box.  Upon further reading, into the differences between FBSD7 and FBSD8
wireless setup, I attempted to get it runing with no luck.

On the command line, the following causes the running terminal to hault,
or at least to appear to hault, and become non-reactive to keyboard input:

<code> ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev ath0 </code>

Here is the output from ifconfig ath0

<code>
ath0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
         ether 00:1b:2f:37:02:46
         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
         status: no carrier
</code>

Here is the output from rc.conf setting which are relivant:
<code>
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap"
ifconfig_wlan0="inet 192.168.200.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid "wrouter0"
mode 54g channel 1"
</code>

Here is my loader.conf file output:
<code>
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
lan_xauth_load="YES"
wlan_acl_load="YES"
if_lagg_load="YES"
if_ath_load="YES"
accf_http_load="YES"
</code>

When I put the rc.conf variables in place, it hung the boot process,
just after initialization of the gateway port. (fxp0)

What should I look for, in attempting to figure this out?

I have also noticed that while the FBSD-8 Handbook provides references
to utilizing <code> /etc/netif start </code> this file does not exist on
this 8-Stable install.

I installed and upgraded from source, from 8.1-PRERELEASE, last spring
or fall, and have just now started to really get this setup going, hence
the older version.

The system is an old PIII-866Mhz server board, with three quad-port
interfaces and a fourth, which is wireless. (while I wait for the Atom
D525 system to get here.)

There is no "output" to list, given that the system hangs each time,
without any debug, or kernel panic indicators.  In fact the system only
hangs on the incident user space, because you can still login and
utilize ssh sessions, as well as anything else that is running.

I use the terms "system hang" because acpi requests from the power
switch are ignored, due to the system not being "ready" so I just have
to hard reset.

Any input would be most appreciated.

Respectfully,

Martes G Wigglesworth