Test tools for new network driver

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 16:20:55 UTC 2011

 On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 4:00 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Cool!
>
> I don't think there's a random MAC address function call; I see
> homebrewed versions of those in various drivers. :)
>
> I'm not sure about a packet fuzz tester; but that sounds like it'd be
> a great addition to the tools/ directory.

/dev/random will do fine, but please be aware that the Ethernet
(actually 802.1) spec says
that the second bit on the wire (the bit after the "group address" bit
(better known as the
multicast) bit should be set for all "locally assigned" MAC addresses,
so you should OR the first byte if the address with 0x2.

This requirement is often overlooked and I don't think the MAC police
will haul you off to
jail(8) if you ignore it, but I do like to remind people that the rule
is there. (OK, I am probably a bit OCD.)

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer - Retired
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com