system locks up with vr driver on alix board

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Tue Aug 16 18:15:30 UTC 2011

On 8/16/2011 1:41 PM, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Over the weekend I upgraded a couple of NanoBSD based systems (on PC Engines Alix boards) from 7.4 to 8.2.  The box is a small firewall and have been running stable for several years.
>
> Since then the busy systems consistently lock up.    I had a 'top -bS -s1' running and it stopped a couple hours before the system locked up after showing basically 100% interrupts for a few minutes.  (Divided ~50/50 between the two "vr" interfaces that gets most of the traffic).  Another terminal tailing /var/log/messages kept running for another hour or so.
>
> An hour or two after the log stopped showing; the system stopped routing packets, but frustratingly kept sending CARP messages out so the secondary firewall didn't pick up the IP addresses to take over.
>
> Any ideas?

Not sure if CARP has something to do with it as I have quite a few
RELENG_8 boxes out there running on Alix boxes (2 and 3 port as well as
Soekris 5501s). But I think the 7.4 and 8.2 drivers for vr are
essentially the same. That being said, there are some updates in
RELENG_8 to the driver. Not sure if that makes any difference to your issue.

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=223681

 MFC r223405:
    Remove link state change callback handler.  There is no need to
    register both status change and link state change callbacks.
    Implement checking valid link in state change callback and poll
    active link state in vr_tick().  This allows immediate detection of
    lost link as well as protecting driver from frequent link flips during
    link renegotiation.  taskq implementation was removed because driver
    now needs to poll link state in vr_tick().
    While I'm here do not report current link state if interface is not
    running.

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications, mike at sentex.net