Intel ix (X520) disconnects when manipulating ips?

Andrew Boyer aboyer at averesystems.com
Mon Apr 25 14:56:42 UTC 2011

On Apr 23, 2011, at 12:50 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On 4/22/11 5:08 PM, Andrew Boyer wrote:
>> Hello Steve and Jack,
>> You need to handle the SIOCSIFADDR ioctl or it gets passed up the stack to ether_ioctl().  When it goes up the interface gets reset.  See the comments in em_ioctl() and igb_ioctl().
>>
>> We fixed this in ixgbe in our internal tree and it seems to work fine with 82598 and 82599.  You also need to include opt_inet.h for the INET #define to be valid.
>
> so, what else have you fixed?   :-)
>
>> -Andrew

Here's a list of suggested improvements that we could give back.  I try to only bother Jack if a problem results in a hang or other serious issue.

- Add tunables for LRO and HWRSC
- Add code in ixgbe_attach() to detect 'disabled' hint (call resource_disabled()) [also useful in e1000!]
- Add code in ixgbe_attach() to handle IXGBE_ERR_SFP_NOT_PRESENT returned by ixgbe_init_hw() (set sfp_probe to TRUE)
- Add VLAN_HWTSO support when handling SIOCSIFCAP
- Call ixgbe_disable_queue() at the beginning of ixgbe_msix_que()
- Add code to ixgbe_local_timer() to first call ixgbe_txeof() on every queue before checking the queue status
- Rework ixgbe_config_link(); if sfp is TRUE, I think it should just schedule mod_task and let it handle the msf case
- Add locking and PHY type detection to ixgbe_handle_link() (to support copper->optical and optical->copper transitions)
- Add locking to ixgbe_handle_mod(), detect the PHY type, and only schedule msf_task if multispeed_fiber is true
- Add locking to ixgbe_handle_msf()

I could provide patches for any item that people are interested in testing / incorporating.  Of course Jack still gets the final say on what goes into ixgbe.

-Andrew

Andrew Boyer	aboyer at averesystems.com