Gigabit Router Hardware Specs

M. V. bored_to_death85 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 21 06:51:14 UTC 2011

hi,

i want to setup a router-box with freebsd 8.0. with four Intel Pro/1000 NICs.
the network i'm using router for, is a large and complicated network with high
traffic almost all the time (up to 800Mbps for each of 4 NICs).  and route table
may get large. so these are my questions:

1- first, i wanted to know what hardware specifications do you recommend (RAM,
2- about CPU, which feature is more important? Cache, Core-Speed, number of
Cores, FSB, ....?
3- as a followup to my second question, which of these CPUs do you think is more
suitable for me? and why?
    a) Intel Core2-Quad q8300 (2.50GHz)
    b) Intel Xeon e5405 (2.00GHz)
    c) Intel Xeon e5420  (2.50GHz)