Broadcom BCM57765 support?

YongHyeon PYUN pyunyh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 22:10:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 07:48:51PM +0100, Paul Thornton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The bge driver doesn't support this chipset yet and I was wondering if
> anyone has looked at implementing it.
>
> NetBSD looks like it has support for it.  Now I may be wrong here, but
> it appears that the BCM57765 is similar to other devices based on the
> NetBSD if_bge.c source version 1.194.
>
> I've tried applying the NetBSD changes to the FreeBSD bge source but I
> don't know enough about the hardware and the code is different enough
> that I haven't made it very far.  I can get a patched 8.2 kernel to
> detect the device, complain that the ASIC is unknown, read the MAC
> address correctly and determine there is link but as soon as you attempt
> to ifconfig up the interface the machine locks up.
>
> I'm happy to try and port this over but need a nudge in the right
> direction from someone who knows the code.

Here is experimental patch for BCM57765 family controllers. I
don't have these controllers so the patch was not tested at all
except compile. Recent Broadcom controllers like BCM57765 support
EEE(Energy Efficient Ethernet) feature but it is not yet supported
by the patch.
Also it would good to see the output of "pciconf -lcbv" and dmesg
after applying the patch.