Server network interface problem?

Carlos Kamtha kamtha at ak-labs.net
Wed Sep 22 18:49:31 UTC 2010

Hello,

I recently had a problem with an NFS server running:

FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0

It suddenly was not reachable from the network. A closer look on the console revealed that the
interface was still marked as "active" and the server was able to ping itself, but not the gateway.

While in this state, I was not able to ssh to the client machines that use mount points on the
NFS server in question.

To solve this problem, i plugged out the network cable and plugged it back in.  This server has been
online for almost a year and never experienced this problem till now.

I'm wondering 2 things.

a.) Could this be an issue with the driver on this release for em0?

b.) Why was I not able to ssh to the client servers while the NFS server was down?

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Carlos.