Removal of deprecated implied connect for TCP

Robert N. M. Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sat Sep 4 21:22:00 UTC 2010

On 31 Aug 2010, at 14:25, Andre Oppermann wrote:

>>> I'm not entirely comfortable with this change, and would like a chance to cogitate on it a bit
>>> more.  While I'm not aware of any applications depending on the semantic for TCP, I know that
>>> we do use it for UNIX domain sockets. Since it's a documented API, if we are going to remove
>>> it, then we need to go through a deprecation process, not least by marking it as a deprecated
>>> API in 8.x before having it vanish in 9.0.
> >
>> sendto() is also used for SCTP SOCK_STREAMS and SOCK_SEQPACKET sockets...
>
> sendto() will not be touched or modified.  It's just that on a TCP socket
> the tcp protocol will not perform an implied connect anymore.  The only thing
> that changes is TCP dropping a deprecated and experimental extension and
> behaving like every other UNIXy OS.
>
> sendto() will continue to work for UDP, SCTP and Domain sockets and whoever
> else currently supports it, except TCP.

Right -- I think you're missing the thrust of this objection: it's a standard part of the FreeBSD API that sendto(2) with an address implicitly connects across all over our protocols, so making TCP be the only exception seems counter-productive. What is it that will actually be accomplished by removing this functionality, other than reducing the number of lines of code in tcp_usr_send by a couple of dozen?

Robert