kern/121257: [tcp] TSO + natd -> slow outgoing tcp traffic

Nick Christenson npc at GangOfOne.com
Sat Oct 30 21:30:27 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR kern/121257; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Nick Christenson <npc at GangOfOne.com>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, vnovy at vnovy.net
Subject: Re: kern/121257: [tcp] TSO + natd -&gt; slow outgoing tcp
 traffic
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 14:03:13 -0700 (PDT)

 I notice that not much has been done on this bug in the last
 couple of years, so here's a bump.

 I have reproduced this bug on an amd64 machine running FreeBSD
 7.3-RELEASE-p3 with network cards using the msk driver.  I'm
 running natd and pf.  I'm not the only one who has encountered
 this.  Other references to what looks like the same problem:

 http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2010-July/025731.html
 http://osdir.com/ml/freebsd.bugs/2002-03/msg00051.html
 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.current/127669
 	(subject "significantly slow IPFW + NATD + amd64)

 Many of these don't include resolutions, so if this can't be
 fixed, at least publicizing the work around would seem to be
 well advised.

 It sounds from the bug like the developers have a good handle
 on the problem, but if I can do anything to help test, let me
 know.

 --
 Nick Christenson
 npc at gangofone.com