Hardlock with alc0 device

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 16:57:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 06:15:16AM -0400, Kris Moore wrote:

> I'm running into a rather interesting problem here on HEAD with a newer Asus
> EEE PC and the "alc" network driver. The device works great when a
> cable is plugged in, no issues at all. However, if I unplug the ethernet
> and reboot then I get a hard-lock when it tries to bring up the device.
>
> I disabled ifconfig_alc0="DHCP" in rc.conf, and now the system boots
> normally, but just for kicks I tried running "dhclient alc0" on it
> manually, and sure enough it resulted in another system lockup. (No kern dump,
> doesn't even get that far)
>
> Here's some information about the system / device, let me know if there
> is any other data / commands I should run and send over.
>

> FreeBSD mininova 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #14: Sat Oct 23 13:11:00 PDT 2010
>
> alc0 at pci0:1:0:0:        class=0x020000 card=0x838a1043 chip=0x10621969 rev=0xc0 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Attansic (Now owned by Atheros)'
>     device     = 'Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (AR8132)'
>     class      = network
>     subclass   = ethernet
>

> alc0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>         options=c3198<VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MCAST,WOL_MAGIC,VLAN_HWTSO,LINKSTATE>
>         ether 20:cf:30:1e:b2:38
>         media: Ethernet autoselect

I was not able to reproduce it with sample board so I'm not sure
what register access could trigger the stuck. Given that there are
some configuration changes in BIOS for better power saving(ASPM) it
could be related with accessing ALC_PM_CFG register.
I also remember some user reported controller couldn't establish
link when system booted without UTP cable plugged in. Not sure this
is also the same issue as sample board does not show the issue.

Anyway, would you try attached patch?