Strange problem with sk0

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Fri Oct 22 21:20:52 UTC 2010

  Hello!

I have a rather bizarre problem with my on-board sk interface... It only
works, when tcpdump is running...

Seriously. It negotiates with the switch (1000baseT/full-duplex) just
fine, but, unless tcpdump has it open (and in "promiscuous" mode), no
traffic seems to go through. It would not respond to pings -- not even
from the switch itself, nothing.

But, as soon as I start tcpdump -- even if tcpdump never has anything to
output:

    tcpdump -i sk0 -n src host 10.non.existent.IP

Traffic starts flowing just fine... Do I simply have flaky hardware? The
motherboard is old, and, for some reason, I need to "remind" sk0, what
its ethernet address upon reboote (it starts off with 00:00:00:00:00:00).

Any other explanations for what is happening? There are plenty of other
systems (computers, VoIP phone, two TVs) on this switch and all are
fine... I did try different ports on it -- same results. I also tried
forcing things down to 100/half-duplex -- no change...

Thanks! Yours,

    -mi