Monitor mode not working for iwi(4) on 7.X

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 20 08:31:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 Bernhard Schmidt wrote:
> Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Not sure if this is a driver or ifconfig(8) problem, but after I -mediaopt
> > monitor, ifconfig(8) still reports it in media line:
> >
> >	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect <monitor>
> >
> > However, as I said, scan list gets populated, which suggests ifconfig(8)
> > is getting something wrong. Doing -mediaopt monitor the second time
> > "knocks" ifconfig(8) though.
>
> I can't reproduce that on my stable/7 setup, neither in 'UP' nor in 'DOWN'
> state. Can you post the exact command sequence you've used? The output
> differs though..
>
> # ifconfig iwi0 mediaopt monitor
> # ifconfig iwi0 up
> # ifconfig iwi0 | grep media
>     media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect <monitor>)
> # ifconfig iwi0 -mediaopt monitor
> # ifconfig iwi0 | grep media
>     media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect

This scenario works.  But try it out after aircrack-ng tools, which set
(P)PROMISC mode on the card (and do not clear it after exit, but in my
understanding this should not affect monitor mode and its indication, no?).

./danfe