Problems with 8.1, PPPoE server, and Cisco client

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 19 21:05:24 UTC 2010

  On 10/19/10 1:32 PM, Paul Thornton wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction to get
> enough debug to troubleshoot a very annoying connection problem with
> PPPoE to a Cisco.
>
> I have a freshly installed 8.1-RELEASE amd64 box with a very simple
> PPPoE daemon setup on it.  This works fine for a test WinXP and Mac OS X
> client so I know that fundamentally that side of things should be OK. I
> have also used a similar setup (under 7.0) with all sorts of consumer
> routers doing PPPoE and it "just works".  The server I'm testing with
> has VLANs on top of igb interfaces, and I haven't seen any other network
> issues.
>
> Using a Cisco 800 series as the client, however, things start off
> working fine - connects up OK, authenticates, etc. but then it
> immediately disconnects.
> There is no clear error as to why the disconnect happens at either end -
> hence my confusion.  I've tried several routers (some direct Ethernet
> link, some via VDSL) and have upgraded to the latest IOS in an attempt
> to make this work, nothing changes.
>
> Have also tried with 7.2-RELEASE in case it was an 8.X issue - again,
> same problem seen.
>
> Any hints to help debug this (from either end) would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul.

Immediate things to look at:

Wireshark understands all the protocols in question so get packet
captures of good and
bad sessions (as similar as you can) and see what is different.
(wireshark reads
tcpdump files so it's easy to capture).

also for fun you might look at the documentation for running mpd.. I
dont' remember if it
can do a pppoe SERVER but I vaguely remember that it can.