strange resolver behavour

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 14 06:42:51 UTC 2010

On 10/13/2010 12:05 AM, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> On 13.10.2010 01:39, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>>> I care about my resolver behavior.
>>
>> Ok, well, that's working as advertised, so no problems then.
>
> That's fine. And how about host(1)?
> It looks for MX record for synthetic domain names
> using suffixes from /etc/resolv.conf

You said you wanted something that exercised the resolver, make up your
mind. :)

> Hopefully it does not find but what if such names would exist
> and have MX records? host(1) would lie to me.

No, it would act the way it's supposed to. If there is an answer that
you should get, it will give it to you. If you want to debug something
that isn't working the way you think it should, use dig.

Doug

--

Breadth of IT experience, and    |   Nothin' ever doesn't change,
depth of knowledge in the DNS.   |   but nothin' changes much.