strange resolver behavour

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 12 07:10:04 UTC 2010

On 10/11/2010 8:32 PM, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> On 11.10.2010 18:05, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
>
>> egrosbein>  Is it a bug in our resolver?
>>
>> I think no, host(1) links ISC's resolver, and it doesn't use libc's
>> resolver.  I suspect there is some problem in host(1) or ISC's
>> resolver.
>
> Is there a command capable of looking up MX records and
> linked with libc resolver in base system?
>
> It's a pity if we have no diagnostic utility that behaves just like
> ordinary applications like MTA dealing with DNS... How am I supposed
> to debug suspected MTA behavior without such utility?

Step 1, verify that your authoritative name servers have MX records in
the first place. As it turns out, they don't.

The proper tool to use to diagnose DNS problems is dig. It's more
complex than the tools that are designed to just give you the answer,
but if everything were working right to start with you wouldn't need to
diagnose anything. See how that works? :)

Good luck,

Doug

--

Breadth of IT experience, and    |   Nothin' ever doesn't change,
depth of knowledge in the DNS.   |   but nothin' changes much.