Monitor mode not working for iwi(4) on 7.X

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 8 12:29:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 11:48:57AM +0000, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On 10/8/10, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 12:44:20PM +0000, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> >> Monitor and injection work commpletly different after vap.
> >>
> >> I do not think that kismet and aircrack-ng from ports are patched at all.
> >
> > This is at least partially true; SVN trunk of aircrack-ng behaves better
> > than 1.1 version from ports (WRT infamous wi_write() problem).  I will
> > work out patches for the port after kernel side will get fixed.
>
> Heh, you are wrong, svn trunk of aircrack-ng is broken versus
> wi_write() "problem".
>
> Look at "famous" ticket number 666

Oh, that's right, I think I've been testing SVN trunk with this patch
applied (maybe with =| MONITOR hunk, which I found in another version of
similar patch).  Without a patch injection test fails immediately,
before wi_write() gets a chance to trigger.

> Injection on FreeBSD (I forgot exact revision) will work only in AHDEMO mode.
> Unlike before you can not inject in MONITOR mode.

I've seen people say this, but I could not find more elaborative answer.
I am also not sure about AHDEMO mode, since iwi(4) reports this for me:

$ ifconfig iwi0 list caps
iwi0=25818300<IBSS,PMGT,SHPREAMBLE,MONITOR,WPA1,WPA2,WME,BGSCAN>

./danfe