mbuf changes

Robert N. M. Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 6 17:43:00 UTC 2010

On 5 Oct 2010, at 17:01, Karim Fodil-Lemelin wrote:

> I will share some of the experience I had doing embed mtags. Hopefully its relevant :)
>
> The idea of carrying a certain amount of mbuf tags within the mbuf structure is somewhat similar but much cleaner, imo, then Linux's skbuff char cb[40 - 48] (it was 40bytes in 2.4.x ...). Now this idea is not new although as you know the devil is in the details...

Hi Karim:

This sounds like very interesting work, and something we should figure out how to generalize for FreeBSD. I had also been pondering something along these lines in order to improve MAC label performance when using ubiquitously labeled policies. Since MAC often stores references to externally managed data from mbuf labels (i.e., deep structures, rather than just bytes of data) it's especially important to make sure we get the tear-down stuff right...

Robert