[patch] WOL support for nfe(4)

Yamagi Burmeister lists at yamagi.org
Tue Nov 9 21:01:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:

>> No, the link stays at 1000Mbps so the driver must manually switch back
>> to 10/100Mbps.
>>

> Hmm, this is real problem for WOL. Establishing 1000Mbps link to
> accept WOL frames is really bad idea since it can draw more power
> than 375mA. Consuming more power than 375mA is violation of
> PCI specification and some system may completely shutdown the power
> to protect hardware against over-current damage which in turn means
> WOL wouldn't work anymore. Even if WOL work with 1000Mbps link for
> all nfe(4) controllers, it would dissipate much more power.
>
> Because nfe(4) controllers are notorious for using various PHYs,
> it's hard to write a code to reliably establish 10/100Mbps link in
> driver. In addition, nfe(4) is known to be buggy in link state
> handling such that forced media selection didn't work well. I'll
> see what could be done in this week if I find spare time.

Hmm... Maybe just add a hint to the manpage that WOL is possible broken?
Nevertheless thanks for your work it's much appreciated :)

>>> o When you put your box into suspend mode, can you wake up your box
>>> with WOL magic packet?
>>
>> I'm sorry but I can't test that since none of those boxes supports
>> suspend:
>>
>>   % sysctl hw.acpi.suspend_state
>>     hw.acpi.suspend_state: NONE
>>

> You can switch to suspend mode with "acpiconf -s1". If all goes
> well, driver would put the controller into suspend mode after
> reprogramming controller to accept WOL frames. After that, you can
> wakeup the box by sending a WOL magic packet.

Okay, It thought that S3 is required. Put the box into S1, waited some
minutes and send the magic packet. The video didn't resume but I was
able to login via SSH. So waking up by sending the WOL magic packet
works.

--
Homepage:     www.yamagi.org
Jabber:       yamagi at yamagi.org