"kernel: carp_input: received len 20 < sizeof(struct carp_header)" messages

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Thu Nov 4 23:29:20 UTC 2010

Hi,

On a network segment we have both Linux boxes with keepalived (some sort of vrrp implementation) and FreeBSD boxes with carp enabled.

The FreeBSD logs have a gazillion "kernel: carp_input: received len 20 < sizeof(struct carp_header)" messages.

The carp man page makes it seem like we can disable any carp logging with net.inet.carp.log=0; but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

The system is running 7.2-RELEASE-p5 (the distribution is pfSense 1.2.x).

Is there another toggle I can use to get rid of the (to us) useless log messages?

I checked that we don't have any overlapping vhid/vrid IDs.  Any idea for how to either just suppress the log message from the kernel or getting it to log some more details so we can try to make the underlying problem go away?

Thanks!

 - ask