move setfib(1)

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu May 27 06:20:35 UTC 2010

In message: <4BFE04E5.1010708 at semmy.ru>
            Sergey Matveychuk <sem at semmy.ru> writes:
: 26.05.2010 20:38, Julian Elischer wrote:
: > On 5/26/10 9:32 AM, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: >> In message:<4BFD158D.7020301 at FreeBSD.org>
: >> Sergey Matveychuk<sem at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: >> : Does is possible to move setfib(1) to /sbin for smooth using it in
: >> : rc.d scripts?
: >
: > Can you tell us why you need it so early?
: >
: > We could do it, but eventually everything ends up moving to /sbin or
: > /bin unless we need a good reason.
: >
:
: I'm thinking about this after Doug's message:
: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-rc/2010-May/001954.html

Right, and the only way that /usr/bin isn't going to be available if
the network isn't up will be if you have NFS mounted root, but have a
separate /usr partition.  Otherwise, critmount happens before the
network comes up, and that will ensure that you'll have /usr available
at the point in the boot scripts you want to use it.  Even if you have
/ and /usr separate on NFS partitions, you can specify netfs_types=""
in the NFS root's rc.conf and all NFS mounts will mount too very
early.

Since you are proposing this for /etc/rc.d/routing, I think you can
actually use it there and there will be no problem, even for whacked
out NFS setups.

Did I miss something?

Warner

P.S.  On my system at least:

rcorder says:

/etc/rc.d/dumpon
/etc/rc.d/ddb
/etc/rc.d/initrandom
/etc/rc.d/geli
/etc/rc.d/gbde
/etc/rc.d/encswap
/etc/rc.d/ccd
/etc/rc.d/swap1
/etc/rc.d/fsck
/etc/rc.d/root
/etc/rc.d/hostid
/etc/rc.d/mdconfig
/etc/rc.d/mountcritlocal

so these wuold be the only places where you can't use binaries from
/usr, right?