ppp not removing address when disconnected

John Bayly john.bayly at tipstrade.net
Wed May 5 16:08:29 UTC 2010

I'm using ppp on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE. Got this immensely annoying issue
that when the ADSL connection drops the IP address isn't being removed
from the tun interface, making it look like the connection is still up.

I've tries this in interactive mode:

    Using interface: tun0
    ppp ON router> dial
    ppp ON router>
    Ppp ON router>
    PPp ON router> Warning: ff02:7::/32: Change route failed: errno:
    Network is unreachable
    PPP ON router> iface show
    tun0 (idx 7) <UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1492 has 1 address:
       inet 81.134.xx.xx --> 81.134.yy.yy netmask 0xffffffff
    PPP ON router> close
    PPp ON router> Warning: ff02:7::/32: Change route failed: errno:
    Network is unreachable
    ppp ON router>
    ppp ON router> iface show
    tun0 (idx 7) <POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 has 1 address:
       inet 81.134.xx.xx --> 81.134.yy.yy netmask 0xffffffff
    ppp ON router> iface clear
    ppp ON router> iface show
    tun0 (idx 7) <POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 has 0 addresses:
    ppp ON router>

As you can see, the interface comes up with an address when I dial,
however when I close the connection, the interface still shows the
address, it's only when I call "iface clear" that the address is removed.

I added "iface clear" to my /etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown, but it makes no
difference. This is because ppp is still in OPENED state (as per the man
page: all addresses except for the NCP negotiated address are deleted
from the interface.). I've confirmed this by turning on all logging, and
seeing that the "iface clear" command is sent before
"SendTerminateReq(4)" is called.

Am I missing something in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf that tells ppp to remove the
address when a connection is down?

Many thanks,
John