kern/148772: [alc] alc0 does not send/receive packets if not plugged in during boot

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 18:19:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 07:06:05PM +0200, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!

> > > A reboot with connected cable was booting successfully.
>
> > Would you show me verbose dmesg output?
> > With verbose boot alc(4) will show additional information which may
> > help to narrow down the issue.
>
> http://opsec.eu/backup/alc-bug/dmesg.boot-verbose

One odd thing is alc(4) failed to read station address from EEPROM.
So alc(4) assumed BIOS correctly programmed station address but the
station address looks wrong to me.
How about cold booting? Does other OS also report the same station
address?

> with the patch applied (and booted with a cable).
>
> Before the patch:
>
> http://opsec.eu/backup/alc-bug/dmesg.boot

Would you try this one?
http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/alc/alc.link.patch2

> Thanks! If you need remote access...

That does not work mainly because I can't unplug/plug UTP cable
through remote access.