page fault in igb on 8.1

Chris Buechler cbuechler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 21:41:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 5:24 AM, Jack Vogel <jfvogel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've not heard anything yet, will see what happens later this morning.
>>

> Of the info I currently have, it doesn't panic on a stock 8.1-RC2, but
> it wasn't the same config - there weren't any VLANs configured. I'm
> getting VLANs configured on the stock 8.1-RC2 install and will see
> what happens. Should know more tomorrow. I don't have any igb NICs to
> test with, just this remote system that I don't have access to, if you
> can do some testing with VLANs Jack that might help replicate the
> problem. Will reply back as soon as I know more.

Update: can't find any way to panic a stock 8.1-RC2 it appears. After
bumping the date in our supfile to RC2, it appears most of the panics
disappear. The only remaining situation that panics is when plugging
it directly into a HP laptop, but it doesn't appear to do so with
FreeBSD's default settings. I suspect this is from some non-default
setting we use in pfSense, just haven't figured out what that is. The
actual e1000 code isn't modified in any way from stock FreeBSD.

It's not as easy to trigger with default/normal settings as I
initially thought, now trying to figure out what can be changed to
make that happen, or what difference in configuration is causing it.

Chris