A-MPDU transmission in net80211 on FreeBSD 8

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Sun Jan 31 19:20:56 UTC 2010

Alexander Egorenkov wrote:
> Why doesn't 802.11 stack assign sequence numbers to A-MPDU frames ?

Because if net80211 does the assignment it may be wrong.  As the comment
says, if tx aggregation causes frames to be q'd above the h/w then by
the time they are sent OTA the pre-assigned seq# may be invalidated by
other frames going out ahead of it.

> When sequence numbers are not assigned to A-MPDU frames, then BA doesn't
> work with my AP.
> I tried to assign sequence numbers to A-MPDU frames in my device driver
> and then BAs worked
> with my AP.

That is what the comment says to do.

> And what is meant by aggregation queue ? Where is that queue anf how do
> i use it ?

The aggregation q is the mechanism used to hold frames waiting for
additional frames to aggregated into an A-MSDU/A-MPDU.  The queue is
typically wherever the aggregation work is done.  Some devices do this
in h/w, others require the host handle this.  When done in the host it
can be done in the driver or above.  The intent has always been to have
net80211 implement tx aggregation that a driver can fallback on but I
never did the work.  All the 11n drivers I've done have either handled
tx aggregation in h/w or in the driver.